[Gpdd] [Peter Gurney] Memorial Candle Lighting March 9th

Audrey Binder agbmcmd at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 17 13:59:55 EST 2012

You are invited to participate in our seventh annual "Light for Peter Gurney"
candle lighting memorial on Wednesday, March 9th, 2012, at 8:00 pm.

This is a "real" event, as everyone is invited to light a real candle at or
arould 8:00 pm, in your respective time zone, in rememberance of our beloved
Digest Members, Peter Gurney, and all of the guinea pigs and pets who are now
with them, at the Rainbow Bridge.  Peter Gurney was a tireless advocate for
guinea pigs, who passed away from cancer July 1, 2006, in Great Britain.  He
wrote many of the books that we use, and he was probably the best guinea pig
authority and advocate in the world.

March 9th was his birthday, and many of us who read the GPDD decided that it
would be a fitting day to remember and honor him.  We have now expanded this
memorial to include and honor our dear GPDD friends and pets who are with him
at the Rainbow Bridge.  Basically, all you need to do is light a candle on March
9th, in the evening, at or around 8:00 pm, and the light will move around the world.

The memorial is also for all of the piggies and other beloved pets who have
passed away and are now with Peter Gurney.  We know that he and our GPDDers with
him are looking after all of them.

This year our GPDD friend Sandy is also coordinating an "Origami Boat Float", to
be held in conjunction with the Candle Light Memorial.  Sandy will send out more
information, but see her post of February 16 (GPDD Vol 11, Issue 52, post #7) for details.

This will be our seventh memorial candle-lighting, and at the end I will ask you
where you lit your candle, and post a listing of all the places where the light
went.  So, mark your calendars for March 9th at 8:00 pm!

For those of you who want to see where candles were lit in 2011, just take a
look at the GPDD homepage.  There you can see a world map and a listing of all
the specific locations.

Also, if anyone has ideas on how to expand our world-wide coverage of this event
(guinea pig forums in other countries), please let me know if you can help.  The
more, the better!

We will be lighting our candle on March 9th.

Audrey, William, and Gordon the GP