[Gpdd] [CARE] Poor Batman

Janna Willard janna.willard at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 18:35:36 EST 2012

Hi everyone,

I build a huge cage (3x5 C&C) on Sunday and everyone seemed to be getting
along great on Monday (the brothers even sang for my husband that
afternoon!), but last night when I was taking everyone out for floor time
so I could do a proper cage tidy, I found that Batman had been wounded! I
suspect Squeak is the culprit, as he is missing a large chunk of fur and
has a wound on his back. The brothers will be going to the vet this
weekend, but I thought it more important to look after Batman as he was
hurt worse.

He has a torn up ear, and his hind foot is all swollen from being bitten.

The vet gave me Chlor Palm, which is on the approved list of antibiotics on
GuineaLynx, and Metacam for pain once every 24 hours (just one drop, given
by mouth). The vet also said that the suggestion I got on the GuineaLynx
forums, to do warm epsom salt foot baths, was a good one, so I am going to
get some epsom salts tonight and do that.

My little man is sleeping a lot, probably partly because it's so stressful
in that cage with Squeak constantly harassing him, and partly because his
foot hurts. I haven't given him any Metacam yet because I want to wait
until I'm actually at home.

So that is the story. I am going to pick up more zip ties on the way home
tonight (I ran out on Sunday) so that I can put in a divider. Batman will
be in a 2x3 right next to the brothers, who will have a 3x3. I figure that
will be okay, and they can still play together and stuff during floor time
- when I can supervise and make sure they don't kill each other!

-Janna, Batman, and the naughty brothers Squeak and Bubble

"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be
normal." Albert Camus
"I want to remake the world; anything less is not worth the trouble." Karen
Cushman