[Gpdd] [CARE] Poor Batman

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 07:43:58 EST 2012

Janna,

Poor little piggies.

All of my boars are paired up but I would never try a trio. It very rarely
works and is not worth the risk. Adding a third boar to a bonded pair is
almost invariably going to cause ructions and, in most cases, is doomed
from the start. Boar fights can prove fatal. I have seen injured boars
brought to our Rodentologist, following an attempt to have three together
and she always advises people not to try it again. Better safe than sorry.

Bonded boars are very good friends. Mine snuggle up together to sleep and
eat peacefully together. If a lone boar arrives here, I always look out for
a friend for him and do very careful introductions. Not a problem with a
new sow as I have groups of them and a new one is usually accepted with no
more than a " hello, let's eat ". Even a new sow can, occasionally, upset
the dynamic of a group but I have never had to deal with the aftermath of a
fight be it with boars or sows.

Separate Batman asap and hope that the bond between the brothers is not
broken. Watch them very carefully together and make sure that they are
getting along before leaving them. As a worst case scenario, you could end
up with three pigs in three cages
.
Is it possible to make Batman a separate cage from your grids so that he is
not right next door to the brothers? This will help him to settle down. He
may very well be depressed after this scare and need some peace and quiet
with gentle hugs from you. Do make sure that he is not so stressed that he
will not eat. You might need to hand feed him for a while. Keep up with the
pain meds. A pig in pain is unlikely to eat and you want him to get back to
normal asap.

Follow Sandy's good advice about possible future abscesses.

I believe that Clor Palm is another name for Chloramphenicol, which is
piggy safe and it is in the eye ointment that I use for my herd. I have not
used it as an antibiotic. I use paediatric Septrin for mine.

Get Bubble and Squeak thoroughly checked out.

Hoping it all turns out OK. Let us all know how things progress.

All the best.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.