[Gpdd] Behavior: Anya's adventure

Jan Schumann janettejr at gmail.com
Sun Jan 1 18:15:06 EST 2012

I'm going to try to make a long story short.

I decided to take Anya outside for some fresh air and forage at Mom's
house.  She was on the ground and I was standing over her.  My feet, which
were holding her in, slipped apart and she sprinted to the nearest cover
which was a large copse of holly, azaleas, and other plants.  My Mom (81
years old and with arthritis) helped scout for her.  We cut back branches
for a couple of hours and caught glimpses of her in the pine straw and even
laid a hand on fur for a second but Princess Squirmalot escaped. (Yes, she
truly earned her nickname.)

I brought out Zathras and Boomer in a pen to serve as "bait" along with a
dirty t-shirt of mine with some treats on it to try to lure her out.  We
were really concerned because it was a lovely day today but it's supposed
to drop below freezing tonight.  Finally, some of the branches we cut
disturbed her hiding place.  I threw a towel over her and she escaped
again.  Second time was the charm as I nailed her with the second towel
throw.  Mom and I cuddled her and finally shed tears of joy that the
Prodigal Pig was back home.

Thanks go to my brother for his suggestion of putting out something
familiar for her to try to lure her in.  Special thanks go to my mom for
her help and allowing me to cut some azaleas (which would have bloomed in a
couple of months) so that I could search for Anya.

Happy New Year.

The Lowcountry Cavies and I also hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas.

Jan
Mom to Zathras, Boomer, and Anya and Tribble, Lokai, and Anya in my heart.