[Gpdd] Behavior: Anya's Adventure

Anneli Cochrane arcochrane at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 12:53:52 EST 2012

I too have had a similar experience. I put my pigs in outdoor grazing
hutches and when I first brought my pig Nutmeg home, she decided to go
on an adventure. I put her in the outdoor hutch, and being the new pig
that she was at that time, she was very skittish. I normally tilt the
hutch up and grab pigs quickly, however, Nutmeg was too fast for me,
she took off. She ran all the way across the yard, through the fence,
and into the woods. I have never seen a pig run so far. We searched
for her forever, it was getting dark and we almost had to give up
hope. Luckily, my dad found my black pig hiding in a hollow log. She
was very fortunate that we found her because little did we know, she
was early on in carrying precious cargo, my Biscuit (in heaven) and
Cinnamon. Now that she is older, she waits patiently for me to grab
her from the hutch. Recently, I had another scare when a noise spooked
Flower as she was waiting for me to pick her up, and she decided to
take off down the driveway. I managed to grab her but in my struggle I
pulled out a chunk of her beautiful fur. However, it is growing back
and was a small price to pay for getting her back.