[Gpdd] [CARE] Grooming and housing - also, SINGING PIGGIES!

Janna Willard janna.willard at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 11:12:58 EST 2012

Hi Sandra,

I was intending to cut out the mats, yes. We had a cat once who would get
awful mats because he was so overweight (he was diabetic and slimmed up
considerably once he was diagnosed and put on insulin). So that is on the
agenda for tonight, or possibly tomorrow, depending on many factors that
don't really concern anyone but myself. :) I'm going to get them both into
the vet sometime next week, and my vet is very experienced with guinea
pigs, so I am not worried about that.

If I was going to put them into different cages right now, I would split
them up, and I don't want to do that as they have lived together for so
long. The new, larger cage that I am going to build will be ready by the
end of the month, God willing, and it will be adequate for three together
or two together with one separate (so I am thinking about making the full
thing 4x4 and splitting it in half if they can't all live together; I am
hoping that they will at least be able to spend their floor time together).

I am thinking about starting with C&C right now, just because I have done
it many times in the past and already own plenty of cubes so would really
only need to buy the coroplast and zip ties. Then, when we are getting
ready to get the dog (which will be a puppy when we get it), I will start
working on a properly constructed wood-and-metal cage that will be raised
off the floor on its own legs. I know such a thing will be very heavy, but
I think it will be much safer and more comfortable for them to be at my
waist height. This cage will be in my sewing room/office, which is where I
spend most of my time when I am at home, and I will be making it completely
piggy-safe so that I can close the door and give them lots of floor time
while I am working in the afternoons. Actually, the warning about the
mastiff jaws has me thinking about changing out the door or maybe adding to
it so that there is a screen door that I can keep closed and the dog will
just never be allowed in my sewing room. I can also keep the cat out using
such a door. I will have to discuss this idea with my husband, but I think
it is do-able and we can probably find a very nice door that will be quite
secure and is solid on the bottom with the screen only on the top half.

I woke up in the middle of the night last night to an odd sound I had never
(in 25 years of piggies) heard before in real life: Bubble and Squeak were
singing! What an amazing sound, it is just like birds chirping! I don't
know how long it lasted, but it was quite an experience.

-Janna, Batman, Bubble, and Squeak, and Juniper (the husband) and Roy (the
cat)

"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be
normal." Albert Camus
"I want to remake the world; anything less is not worth the trouble." Karen
Cushman