[Gpdd] CARE: trimming long-haired piggies' behinds

GARY HESS joanhess4 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 5 17:54:05 EST 2012

My previous piggie, dear Hershey, was a silky, and had to be trimmed every couple weeks. I would take her bottom hairs from where the tail would've been and downwards between my index and middle finger and cut what protruded between my fingers. I'm not a steady hand, so I'd always keep my fingers between her skin and the scissors. If I let her go too long without a trim, horrid mats would appear, and were they ever difficult to get rid of! If you're dealing with a huge mat, it helps to cut into it perpendicular to the skin, dividing it in sections, as it were. Keeping my fingers as a shield, I'd cut into it straight on until it was crumbly, then followed the skin line as before. I hope you won't need to use this technique. It's laborious, to say the least, and isn't exactly appreciated. If the mat's too close to the skin, you may need to let it grow out a bit before tackling it. Hope this helps!

Joanie