[Gpdd] HEALTH: ivermectin poisoning

GARY HESS joanhess4 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 13 00:25:38 EST 2012

As it turns out, piggies can tolerate dosages of up to 0.2 ml, which is sometimes necessary with persistent mite infestations. If I had poisoned Ruffian, Ann Evans recommended activated charcoal, crushed and administered in water by syringe. Mineral oil can be given at 1.5 ml a couple hours after if needed. Peter Gurney's Piggie Potions, page 30, has helpful suggestions as well.

I sure do appreciate Ann Evans' phone call after she'd spent all day saving cavies. Our group is so dedicated to our little friends, and she really goes the extra mile.

Just for reference, I'd mistakenly given my three month old Ruffian three 0.05 ml doses, one per day for three days running when I was only supposed to give only one then another from 7 to 10 days later as a first worming procedure.

I'm so relieved!

Joanie