[Gpdd] Rescue: I saved one Guinea Pig's Life

leah.mcneil at wellsfargo.com leah.mcneil at wellsfargo.com
Fri Jan 13 13:30:08 EST 2012

Hola Slaves!
Hope Everypig & Slave are doing Swell these days. I just
have to share this with ya'll... One of my co-workers
was thinking about getting a piggie for his kids and his
Oldest kid (almost 10 yrs. old) just Knew that a Guinea
Pig was the animal that he wanted. They visited a
Petsmart store (close to where I live) and the Petsmart
Rep let them hold some piggies and she showed them
one of their Best-selling Cage Kits (that features a cage
that is waaaaay too small for a grown piggie) and she
gave them all kinds of wrong information...like, that they
would need to refresh the cage every 2 weeks and then
completely change out the bedding once a month. Like,
WHAT?!?!? Well, I've already called that store and talked
to a manager about that Rep and I'll be going back there
to interview different Reps to make sure they are giving
correct information in the near future.

Well, anyways, so my co-worker was planning on keeping
the new piggie in his son's room, in the cage that the Rep
was suggesting for them. And his son was going to be the
main Caregiver and he wanted to know more about what
would be involved in the Care of a piggie. So, I explained
it all to him (about how his pig should Not be kept in his
son's room, and how you have to refresh the cage 2-3 times
daily and a full clean each week, etc. etc. etc.). He had me
on Speaker Phone so that his almost 10 yr. old could hear
me) and after a while, the kid lost interest and left and went
outside to play Basketball. Yeah, well, that tells you something
right there, doesn't it? It was to  much work for the little fella
and I explained to my co-worker that if he (the adult) wasn't
willing to take on the Job, then I would suggest Not getting
a Guinea Pig. And he agreed and said that it sounded like a
pig was more Work than a Dog. And so they are Not going
to be getting a Guinea Pig. And therefore, that is One Less
Piggie that ends up in a Shelter. I feel like I Saved one Guinea
Pig's Life...
               Love 'n Wheeeeps,
                                Leah Slave & Bertie Pig :)