[Gpdd] HEALTH: Diarrhea

Victoria Lundy victoria at inactivists.com
Fri Jan 13 13:17:07 EST 2012

I have a female gp that has had health issues in the past -- a pneumonia
that took months to clear up, but she has had clear lungs since then.

Note that she lives with a perfectly healthy female.

She developed diarrhea before Christmas. Normal diet is pellets with some
oats/sunflower seeds and dried pea and kibble (10 percent or less) and hay
and fresh veg/fruit. I took her off fresh veg and that did nothing, then on
the advice of the vet gave her pellets and hay with no "treats" in the mix.
Nothing. The vet prescribed a 2 week course of Metranidizole It worked. Then
she got sick again. I've tried drawing down her food again to pellets and
hay. No improvement. Note that I've made sure she ingested some of the
healthy pig's droppings, tried giving her bacillus cultures, and anything
else I can think of.

All through this, she's kept up her weight (I weigh her daily as she's been
ill) and is a hungry piggie. She's solid -- 1160 grams or so.

Any ideas? I hate to put her on the Metranidizole again, but I'm stumped.

Thanks
Victoria