[Gpdd] CARE: PetSmart stores selling small animals

Dragonfly chaos.dragonfly at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 17:52:01 EST 2012

The Petsmart in my area (north Kitsap County, Washington state) sells
lots of small animals: hamsters, rats, mice, guinea pigs, gerbils.
Ferrets too, if those count. Also birds, fish, and reptiles. Cats and
dogs are regularly kept there for adoptions, but I think these are from
shelters.

I do not know if the guinea pigs get proper care, though the hamsters
mostly do. I did not see any hay in the guinea pig tanks the two last
times I went in there. They are kept in aquarium-style cages that I
wouldn't consider big enough for one of my teddybear hamsters. Some of
the guinea pigs I've seen there are obviously young, so probably not
"rescues".

Dragonfly