[Gpdd] HEALTH: Diarrhea

Sandra Oliver-Poore warmbreath at comcast.net
Mon Jan 16 04:53:22 EST 2012

Hi Victoria,

I didn't see an answer to this post so I apologies for my lateness.
metronidazole commonly known as Flagyl is used to treat parasites most
notably Giardia which causes diarrhea   If you treated one pig with out the
other the second gave it back to the first. When treating for parasites all
piggies and animals in the same environment have to be treated, often more
than once. Also Giardia comes from contaminated water or veggies so she may
have been re-infected that way or from an infected person.  If she is still
sick have her tested along with her roommate and thoroughly treat all
animals in contact with her. Also look for environmental contaminates. She
may need boiled water, not to play outside, and get your veggies from a
reliable source and wash well with the boiled water.  If you don’t know
about Giardia in your area call the county or state health dept. as well as
consulting your vet.  Let us know how it goes.   Her pneumonia can be caused
by parasites, all piggies need to be on a preventative treatment for mites
and other parasites  see http://piggyville.com/index.php?id=9 for full info.
Best regards, Sandy, Sammy, and AR