[Gpdd] HEALTH: Skin problems, allergies

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 05:14:48 EST 2012

Good to hear from you again Marsha.

Poor little Stewie. Have you considered that he might have a fungal
problem?. This is not uncommon here in England, where it is cold and damp
and quite unsuitable for piggies, who need a dry climate and fungal spores
proliferate here. Fungal piggies do scratch a lot.

If Stewie were mine, I would, despite his protestations, give him a bath in
an antifungal and anti parasite shampoo. My choice is VetSect Repel, which
is unavailable in the US but Ann has a second best alternative on her
Piggyville worming page. Scroll down a bit for the details.

http://www.piggyville.com/index.php?id=9.

Sometimes the most wriggly piggy calms down in the bath and if it makes him
feel more comfortable afterwards, he might be less squirmy for you to hold.
Try three baths a week apart. When shampooing him, work the lather into his
ears as that will help kill off any parasites in there.

I have never come across a piggy that is allergic to anything, so I cannot
help there, but I suppose that this can happen just as it does with people.

Good luck with the little fellow.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.