[Gpdd] [HEALTH] What's best for a blind piggie?

ME me at buddies.org
Wed Jul 4 14:01:03 EDT 2012

I never had the vision of Viola, my diabetic piggie with cataracts in both eyes, tested.  I assume she had very little or no vision, though, as the cataracts became quite thick (I noticed them about 6 months after her diabetes diagnosis at age 1).  You really couldn't tell she was blind most of the time, but she had latched on to one particular piggie when she was a baby, so she took her cues off her.  Unfortunately, her friend passed away at the age of 7 ... and she passed away several weeks later at the age of 5.5.  She had plenty of friends she knew for years as my whole herd lives together, but her best buddy was gone, and I think that's why she passed away.  It was unexpected and necropsy was inconclusive.  Of course, her death could have been caused by something else ... I'll never know.

I would think that since Ghirardelli has been doing well by herself, it might be best to keep her alone.  A new baby might be too jumpy for her.  An older friend might be nice, if you find one that fits her personality ... but you never know how two that are older will get along.  I think one reason I've always been successful with adding new friends is that I get babies that learn their place in the herd ... and I only add them when my herd is healthy and there are no medical issues (even minor ones).