[Gpdd] MISC: Bossy behavior

Lynn Williams mlwilliams at clear.net
Mon Jul 9 16:49:06 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I would like to get some input/thoughts on callie's behavior and what to do about it.  This is not consistant but it happens enough to make me wonder.  Every now and then, i will hear a loud squeal from the cage room and will go running in there, only to find 2 piggies sitting in opposite ends of the cage, acting as if all is well with the world.  I find no scratches or blood  on either of them so just go on about my business.  But, now i have evidence that it is callie who is the culprit here.  Earl was in the office yesterday morning and said he kept hearing a sudden yelp and would look over and would see callie, scooting away from the scene of the crime.   (the hay)  after it happened for the 3rd time, he watched them to see what was going on.  Sure enough, callie all of a sudden would come running out of the pigloo, run across the cage and  in to the hay where eve likes to sday, and "pow!" right on top of her poor little head.  No cause, no seeming reason.  Then she will run back to her pigloo.  So, earl decided to put up a divider to see if that would help.  At that point, he  went to leave the room and eve, thinking he had left a treat on their  treat plate, came running out and ran face first into the grid.  Callie came out of her end and did the exat same thing.  They both retreated to their separate corners and then approached it slowly and sniffed and bit at it to see what it was.  So, not only do i seem to have a brehavior problem, but apparently my pigs have visual impairments as well.  I do know  that they can't share lap time.... Ever.  They will smack each other and argue the whole time they are on my chest.  When i hold them one at a time, all is peaceful.  As long as there seems to be no bloodshed involved, should i let ig go and let them work it out?  Or, should i put a permanent divider in their cage?  I really hate to do that but will if y'all think it's necessary.  Like i said, it's not constant but then again, i don't always hear everything.  Today, I put a freezer pack that is about 10 inches square wrapped in a towel in their cage to help keep them cool.  When I went back in there, Callie was sitting right ihn the middle of it and Eve was sitting in her castle.  So, I guess Callie claimed that.  I put a smaller version in Eve's castle just for her.  Sigh. toddlers!

thanksz, lynn