[Gpdd] HEALTH: Teddy

Sandra Oliver-Poore warmbreath at comcast.net
Sun Jul 15 03:01:37 EDT 2012

There are some possibilities:   Up front please understand that I am not a
vet or vets assistant, I am merely a member of GPDD and have studied what I
can get my hands on for my own piggies.  I am in no way a professional
piggie healer.  The next fact  is that your piggie needs a very good piggy
vet.

First,  if he is laying in filth he is a sick piggy and you must treat him
as sick, he needs to be on towels that are changed several times a day and
he will need the doctor. It could be his gut or his kidney/ bladder system
that is sick and he is in pain. Pain can cause a piggy to just give up when
it maybe be a simple bladder infection, so do not waste time getting to the
vet. Ibuprofen can work short term not acetaminophen.

You said his poos are normal. Does that also mean  well-formed and moist and
of the usual size? Smell bad? If they are normal, I would not change his
diet except as bellow.

He could have stones and can't pass them; this can damage him inside causing
blood and infection, back up pee into his kidneys and cause an infection or
death. Alternatively, it could be that he has a bladder infection and the
pee burns when he passes it. This can still damage him as any infection.
Putting him on clean white towels will show if there is visible blood
indicating the possibility if stones, but the vets test is can find blood
you can't see.  Change the towels as soon as they are wet. Keep notes.  If
you can take his temperature, record his food and meds, and about his pains
and trouble passing poos.

X-rays can rule out or diagnose stones in the bladder or kidney. In
addition, a urine test can diagnose an infection or find out if there is
blood, even dilute in his pee, another reason you need a vet.

If it were his bowels or poo, possibly he has eaten something he can't pass
like plastic.   If he has gas, his tummy may be bloated so you can see or
feel it. Feel his tummy, don't push though.  Also he might fart. Any sign?
Simethicone is good to give for gas that means regular Simethicone only (no
other added drugs like for diarrhea ) can provide relief and doesn't
overdose easily at all.  From what you have said so far I would guess there
is a stone somewhere or a bladder infection. Also if his tummy is taught it
might not be gas, his tummy may be taught if pee is being blocked from a
stone or a stuck penis. Are you sure he is peeing? Record it.

When you checked his boar parts, did you fully extrude his penis? I use
olive or vegetable oil to loosen any stuck stuff, avoid anything that tastes
bad down there as we don't want his cecals to taste bad.

antibiotic for an infection and an NSAID pain reliever, the vet must choose
the antibiotic. There could be one or more stones and he might need surgery.
Ann Evans can give you the procedure for anesthetic and the stone removal
her vet uses. She administers the anesthesia. Give her info to your vet.

Keep him well watered, don't let him have any sugary treats, fruits and
veggies, some fruits and veggies have way too much sugar and that will
promote the infections if they are there, diabetes if they aren't. Diabetes
can make it hard for a piggie to heal.  Give him plenty of Vit C, track his
weight and get him into the vet as soon as you humanly can, don't wait to
see if some of the things I mention work.
Watch his food and water and give him mashed pellets, Critter Be Better or
Similar and cranberry juice (unsweetened) and water, esp. if his weight is
dropping.   Write back with you observations.  Good luck