[Gpdd] Teddy's Health

julie juliejohnson12 at bigpond.com
Tue Jul 17 08:39:25 EDT 2012

Dear Annilie

I know exactly what you speak of.  I have personal experience with losing 3
piggies to what is called twisted bowel.  They were screaming in pain, and
would not eat anything nor take anything from the syringe.

It's not known how it happens, but I understand the digestive system of a
piggy is the same as for horses, and horses are always getting colic.
Only problem, with a piggy, they cannot tolerate any sort of abdominal pain,
and suffer very badly.

I would advise you to get to a pig vet ASAP.  Or maybe our great friend to
the GPDD Ann Evans might have some advice.

This has happened to me before, with the outcome being I lost both piggies -
they had twisted bowel.

I know Peter Gurney has some advice in his web pages on this.   I think it's
under intestinal blockages, and he has some alternative type treatments that
might work for you and your darling piggy, but I suspect you will need a
vet.

I just remember too clearly the extreme pain that my boys went through, and
I was helpless to take away their suffering - except at the time I didn't
realise what was happening and didn't euthanase them early enough in their
tortuous ends.

I wish you both the bestest of luck, and will be praying that what I have
told you is totally wrong and I've just been rambling, there by the Grace of
God may you both go happily for many years to come.

God Bless
Julie