[Gpdd] My Teddy has passed to the Rainbow Bridge

Sandra Oliver-Poore warmbreath at comcast.net
Wed Jul 18 02:11:41 EDT 2012

Dear Mark,    I am so sorry to hear of your Teddy's sudden passing. You
don't mention his age, that could be a factor. If he was particularly furry
or long haired it may have helped to cut his hair and place the frozen
bottles down in the cage on one end and wrapped in a light towel so he could
snuggle up if he got too hot. They are very heat sensitive though. Even so,
piggies can die quite suddenly for no apparent cause. Some are born with a
heart defect or they can have a stroke at any age just like people, although
it's not that common, we all hear of it. If they have, a weak one heat can
make it worse but they are prey animals and so their instinct is to show no
weakness until they are very ill indeed, often too late for us to help. I
encourage you to stay with us if you have another or think you may get one
to stay on top of health news. It's very common for us to never know why a
piggie dies and it hits us all hard no matter how many times we endure it.
The one thing we do is track their weights. The slightest loss, unless they
are plump, is worrisome.

The important thing is that he was loved and that you loved him. Of course,
best for longevity is a healthy diet, no treats except fresh greens, an inch
of carrot, some cucumber, tomato, pepper, cilantro, or parsley, and not all
in same day. I give kale too but in low quantities as I think it can cause
stones. Their ideal feed should be timothy hay based pellets and unlimited
timothy, grass, and some mixed hays but low on alfalfa. They eat constantly
so that's why they need a hay based with no seeds or people snacks. Water
bottles can clog unexpectedly so we recommend two. Then give treatment with
ivermectin for mites and other parasites every 3 months. If he stays trim
and gets his Vitamin C supplement, exercise and your love and attention,
that's the best you can do. I think this same sudden loss has probably
happened to all of us. Even if all of  these things were optimal it still
just happens, and now sadly has happened to Teddy and you.

Often our piggies are rescues or from a pet store and inbreeding may be
involved. Still it's the rescues we encourage people to take in so as not to
cause more unwise breeding and to save piggies from poor or shortened lives.
I am so sorry for your pain but you gave Teddy a good life and that is
super, even a short life if happy is a good thing. My piggy Sammy and I will
gather around our little candle we keep for such times and we send you
wishes for a healing heart. Best regards, Sandy and Sammy