[Gpdd] ANNOUNCEMENT: Boar Rescue

Anneli Cochrane arcochrane at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 17:13:18 EDT 2012

Hello all,
Thank you to everyone for all your kind words at the passing of my beloved
boar Teddy. Yesterday, he was laid to rest.

Also yesterday, a very odd thing happened to me. I went into a pet store to
buy some hay and bedding for my sows. The guy working at the pet store
asked me what I had and of course I said GP's. He said do you want another?
I said no, thank you. He then told me about a boar a family had brought in
to the store because their child was tired of it and they didn't want him
anymore. They had tried to sell him at the store and had failed, he was too
large they said. So the guy that works there had taken him home, and
preceded to tell me that if I didn't take him he was going to put him in
the freezer to kill him and then eat him and that he wasn't messing around
he was serious; he didn't want to take care of him anymore and that he was
a reptile guy. So...you can imagine my horror, especially as I am still
grieving over Tedmund.

Needless to say, I now have a large Abysinian boar that I brought home this
afternoon. I haven't named him yet and have no idea how old he is other
than he is an adult. He is currently eating up a storm and seems unafraid
and tame. He appears to be in good health and is orange, white, and grey. I
have no idea what to name him yet. I am just struck at how cruel and
uncaring so many people are about small animals, they act as though they
are beneath cats and dogs. This story had a good outcome, but I don't like
to think about what may have happened if I had not come in when I did. So
although I wasn't planning on having 5 again, especially another boar,
apparently God had something else in mind for me.
Anneli