[Gpdd] HEALTH: Velvet - update and help needed!

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 04:16:31 EDT 2012

Dear Glynis,

We are so very sorry about Velvet's diagnosis and will keep all paws
crossed for her forthcoming operation.

Onyx's behaviour sounds a lot like she has an ovarian cyst, which can make
sows act very boar-like with a lot of brrrring and mounting. With Velvet
not feeling at her best, she probably does not want all that going on and
it has upset her to the point that she has gone off her food.

My Rodentologist treats these by dispersing them manually. The cyst
contains sterile material which is then absorbed back into the body.
Stubborn, tougher ones can be treated with HCG injections. My Lady Lavender
had this treatment several years back after which the cyst shrank away to
nothing and never returned. Ask your Brendan about this.

In the meantime, can you put up a divider in the girls' cage so that they
still have each other's company but without the aggression?

Wishing you all the very best.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.