[Gpdd] HEALTH: Velvet - Onyx and Surgery

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Mon Jul 30 09:07:10 EDT 2012

It sounds like Onyx has an ovarian cyst. The mounting and strutting
behavior is called nymphomania. This is due to the ovarian cyst
producing the wrong concentration of hormones. This can be treated with
hormone injections given sub cut. Human Chorionic Gonadotropin, HCG, is
given at a dose of 60 units repeat in 14 or 21 days. I have also used
Cystorelin which is gonadorelin 50 mcg/ml.  The dose is 0.5 ml repeat in
14 days.
Regarding surgery we never use any type of injectable anesthetic. Pre op
pain med is given by sub cut injection of 10 mg of Rimadyl 20 minutes
prior to surgery. Anesthetic is 3.0% Isoflurane for induction and
2.0-2.5% Isoflurane for maintenance. It is very important to keep piggy
warm during surgery. I use a microwaveable heating pad even though the
surgery table is heated. I place piggy on pad. Post op pain med is
Rimadyl 10 mg orally every 12 hours for first 3 days then 5 mg every 12
hours for 3 more days or as needed. I do all the anesthesia and pre op
and post op meds for Dr. Bonsack DVM. All animals are up and eating
within 10-15 minutes after I turn off the Isoflurane. I am not a vet but
I volunteer for Dr. Frank Bonsack DVM of Adventure Animal Hospital as a
cavy health advisor.

Healing thoughts from,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.