[Gpdd] MISC: Laws to Come?

bunsnpigs at aol.com bunsnpigs at aol.com
Tue Jun 26 12:31:48 EDT 2012

Well, this law only applies to anyone who breeds animals for sale as pets and has FIVE OR MORE such breeding animals, and the law also applies to retail pet stores.  This does NOT APPLY to animal rescues and shelters, but the breeding community is trying to make it apply with the comments they are posting about how they are competitors for breeders.  What a load of blankety-blank.  Anyone who thinks shelters and rescues profit financially from the animals they adopt out has never been involved with rescue.

Anyone who has 5 or more breeding animals at their home SHOULD be licensed and available for inspection, in my opinion.  Pet retail stores should be licensed, period.  My neighbor is a farmer and breeds farm animals, but they are not for pets, so this law would not apply to her.  This applies only if people are breeding for PETS.

The proposed law says, 'In 2010, there were an average of 106 adults and 93 puppies at licensed wholesale breeders at one time.'  Holy Shemoly, Batman!  I think this place needs to be licensed and inspected!

Here's more for your perusal and action, if you desire:

On May 10, 2012, USDA published a proposed rule to revise its definition of
"retail pet store" to close a loophole that exempts breeders selling pets via
the internet, phone- and mail-order from the basic requirements of the Animal
Welfare Act (AWA). See Press release:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/newsroom/2012/05/retail_pets_051012.shtml

The proposed rule was published in the Register on May 16, 2012, with a 60 day
public comment period. The comment period closes on July 16, 2012.

Read the proposed regulation:
http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=APHIS-2011-0003-0001

Here is the link to the page where you can submit your comments on line:
http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=APHIS-2011-0003

Here is a link to the "docket" where you can read the comments that have been
posted to date. You can also sign up for email alerts whenever a new entry is
made to the docket: http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketDetail;D=APHIS-2011-0003

Judi L.
Virginia

 I apologize if this is against GPDD rules, but I thought this ought to be
 posted for those of us who live in the United States. I often wonder who is
 REALLY behind these laws.

 http://waanimal.blogspot.com/