[Gpdd] HEALTH- my foster piggie Mel- Part 1

Ronald Zimmerman rzm.2 at verizon.net
Fri Mar 9 01:55:22 EST 2012

I am so very concerned about my foster piggie Mel. She has so many things wrong with her & isn't really getting any better. Her babies were separated a week ago & I thought she would finally start gaining weight & doing better but she is not. A background on Mel for those who don't know:
She came to me 8 weeks ago. Someone had left her at the H.L. with a large wound on her abdomen & her ear flaps were chewed to pieces. She also was filled with bloody scabs. They sutured it up & she was in isolation for a few weeks before the foster co-ordinator saw her & called me to foster. I took her & the week or 2 after that I started to feel movement in her belly & noticed she was getting rounder. Of course I knew she was pregnant. But no one at the H.L. believed me. They said that she wasn't pregnant when she got there or she would of already had the babies & so she couldn't be pregnant. I swear they thought I was nuts. I told them she was either pregnant or had aliens living in her belly cause something was moving in there! Well, low & behold she gave birth to 3 babies about 1-2 weeks later. The night she gave birth she totally freaked out. She ripped out all the hair around her opening & her back legs & had herself bloody & was such a mess. So
 the next day I had to drag her & 3 new babies out the the H.L. to get her looked at. She was much calmer by then. They gave me a spray called Vetericyn to put on her wounds. Those self-inflicted wounds have healed up now. The hair just hasn't grown back yet. So the foster co-ordinator had to admit that she must have gotten pregnant after she arrived at the H.L. Someone must have accidentally put her in with a male piggie. She was wounded so she shouldn't have even been in with another piggie during any of that time! No one seems to know (or will admit) what really happened, but 3 babies were the result. All babies were very healthy. 2 girls & a boy. They have been in quarantine for a week now to make sure they show no signs of the fungus that Mel has. I heard today they are doing well & pending another vet check will go up for adoption if they are clear of any signs of infection. So that's part 1 of Mel's story. This is long so I will break it into 2
 parts. Next part: after the babies.

~Jaime, Mimi & Captain Phil the betta fish~
~Missing Albert, Molly, Radar & Daisy~
http://s652.photobucket.com/albums/uu246/chirpy123/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/AintThatCrafty