[Gpdd] HEALTH- my foster piggie Mel- Part 2

Ronald Zimmerman rzm.2 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 11 21:20:50 EDT 2012

So I'll try to go thru a list of the problems Mel is having without being too confusing. When she was at the H.L. (which is short for Humane League, BTW) she was tested for a fungal infection but it came back negative. She was on no meds of any kind. Even though I knew she was having the skin problems I didn't think she should take meds since she was pregnant. (you know the imaginary pregnancy I was talking about) It's good she didn't take anything since she *did* have babies. So she had these scabs that would come off & the hair follicle would come off with them. So the vet took the scabs & tested them for fungus. She has ringworm. So they gave her 2 shots of Ivermectin 10 days apart, although I would have preferred she get it orally because of her sore skin. But I thought it was a good idea to treat for mites just in case. For the ringworm, the vet is dipping her in a Lyme Sulfur bath. She had one last Tuesday & is supposed to get another this Tues. I
 never heard of this treatment for guinea pigs before. I know they do it for kittens. They dilute the mixture down to whatever the proper dosage for piggies is & then dip them & use a washrag to do around the face & ears. The vet seems to think 2 treatments will be enough. Problem is she has this huge sore on her back, right at the base of her neck. It would bleed sometimes when the babies were here. I guess maybe they would climb on her & knock it open or something. So the sore is all scabbed over with this huge sore scab. That has me more worried then anything. She started having a crusty eye then too. Just one eye & no other signs of a URI. I think she may have gotten poked with a piece of hay or something. With all the chaos in the cage when the babies were here it wouldn't surprise me. So now she is on Baytril. Her eye has cleared up. Hopefully this will keep the wound on her back from getting infected too. I wish that would heal. She doesn't even
 like me lifting up the fur to try to look at it. Also she is so skinny. I am trying to supplement with Critical Care & canned pumpkin but she is tired of the Critical Care & didn't care much for the pumpkin. The stupid feed they gave her from the H.L. has these little tiny seeds in it that she loves & then just picks at the pellets. The seeds are so small it would take me forever to try to pick them out. I know she shouldn't be eating them though. I wish they would buy them so decent food. So things are hard right now. She is a sweet, wonderful piggie who just can't seem to catch a break in life. I'm trying my best to help her but feel like I'm failing at this one. She is the sickest piggie I've ever fostered. Any advice would be appreciated & please keep her in your thoughts & prayers. Thanks.

~Jaime, Mimi & Captain Phil the betta fish~
~Missing Albert, Molly, Radar & Daisy~
http://s652.photobucket.com/albums/uu246/chirpy123/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/AintThatCrafty