[Gpdd] [Announcement] Catching Up

scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com
Mon May 21 21:13:02 EDT 2012

Hi. I've split my post into two parts. It was getting a bit long. I guess I've been away too long.

All of my pig pens are full at the moment and everyone seems to be doing OK right now. We've had a few health scares over the past few months. My almost five+ year old, Donovan, decided to stop eating last month, but a combination of critical care and anti-inflammatorily meds got him through whatever was hurting him. The vet and I suspect that he had some sort of injury that made him feel like he didn't want to eat, but once we got him started again, he has been doing really well. We may never know what happened, but just two weeks ago, he was popcorning again on two feet, so he's back to his old self again. It's the strangest thing. He'll stand up on his hind legs then leap into the air. He's just under three pounds now, so it's funny to see such a chubby old pig leap in the air like he does. No wonder he hurt himself!

Reese, the pig who was diagnosed with Lymphoma about a year ago had surgery two weeks ago to remove a grape-sized tumor from under his arm. We were worried given his history, but it turned out to be a lipoma (fatty tumor), which is benign. He had a rough two days after surgery, but now he's doing great. Since his first episode with the lymphoma when he had to have his chest drained twice, he has been fine. He's off of all meds now, and he seems to be doing very well.

Cocoa Puff is through his seasonal stuffiness. It seems like every late winter/early spring, he ends up on antibiotics and in the nebulizer chamber. I wish we could figure out what's triggering it. We've got a weather station in his room to track temperature and humidity and to see if we can identify whatever sets him off, but so far, it's still a mystery.

Ghirardelli lost the use of her left eye a couple of weeks ago. The vet had told us on her last exam that she was developing cataracts. Her poor little eye is completely clouded over now. It seemed to happen so suddenly. She gets around pretty well though, and always knows when one of us is standing next to the refrigerator.

Chakalaka, Puffy, and Dilly Jr. are doing well. Dilly has a cyst on his back that will need to be removed soon. I hate to put him through it, but it has started growing again, and the vet said that it needs to go. If it gets much larger, she said that it would be hard to close it back up.

I think that's everyone.  I hope that all is well with you all. My thoughts and prayers are with those of you who have sick piggies at home or who have recently lost one of your dear friends. I've tried to email everyone who lost a dear little piggie over the last few months. If I've missed contacting you, please know that I was thinking of you.

Best wishes,

ME in New Smyrna Beach with Donovan, Reese, Chakalaka, Dilly Jr. Puffy, Cocoa Puff, and Ghirardelli in our home with Dillon and Twinkie Forever in our Hearts