[Gpdd] HEALTH (PEANUT'S SURGERY)

Ginger Fitzsimmons matildalucet at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 10 18:49:24 EST 2012

We have been through this recently at our house. Mr. Cuddles was crying and spotting blood when he peed, but it took us a couple of weeks to figure out that it was him. His stone was much too big to pass, so even though he is four and a half years old (and "no spring chicken" according to his vet), we had to try the surgery. He came through like a champ. Two weeks later, his brother Brownie went down the same path. (Same vet said, "Guess he didn't like his brother getting all the attention." I love her humor, makes hard times a little easier.) He, also, came through with flying colors. I think it is as hard on the people as on the piggies, sometimes.

Anyway, both are now taking potassium citrate twice a day to try to keep the nasty stones from coming back. I'd never heard of this, but the vet is optimistic, so we're trying it. So far so good, though it hasn't been all that long. We used shilintong with our first piggy, Niles, and he passed his stone and never got another, but I gather it was a MUCH smaller stone. (C & B's stones were each the size of a dried pea - ouch!)

We're sending sympathy and hope to you and Peanut. Maybe either potassium citrate or shilintong could help. If you learn of anything else, please share.

-ginger
co-slave with Steve to Mr. Cuddles and Mr. Brownie
remembering Niles, Clover, Butterscotch, Mike, and Bumper at the bridge