[Gpdd] HEALTH: Tundra Update

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 05:33:00 EST 2012

There's no exact amount of Vit C that piggies need. If you give Tundra too
much, he will just excrete the excess. My herd gets piles of veggies every
day plus heaps of fresh grass when there is no snow cover.

Hopefully Tundra will be moving around much better soon but if not, a piece
of Vetbed is excellent  to lay on. If you are not familiar with this
product, it is a fluffy material with a green rubbery backing. The fluffy
top wicks all the moisture away through to the back. A wad of newspaper
under the fabric will then absorb this moisture. I have lots of pieces for
elderly or infirm piggies. It is expensive initially but lasts forever. My
pieces have been machine washed hundreds of times and are still good as new.

After you have washed and dried him, you could apply a barrier cream such
as Vaseline to his underneath to prevent urine scald, which is very painful.

I am glad that I ccd you my first reply about calcium as it as not appeared
in the GPDD and is not in the archive.

I have been using the worming ( anti parasite ) protocol for many years and
would urge every slave to adopt this for their piggies. Did anyone give the
link to Ann's Piggyville page where this can be found? My protocol is
slightly different to hers as I follow the one laid out years ago by Peter
but Ann says that we have fewer parasites to worry about in the UK.

Good advice is worth repeating.....

http://piggyville.com/index.php?id=9

Penny and the Piggyfriends.

The usual disclaimer applies. I have no veterinary training but have been
caring for piggies for more years than I care to count with the help of
Peter, Etienne (a great vet ) and my Rodentologists.