[Gpdd] HEALTH: Tundra's vet visit

Carol Riley bearkat1 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 27 16:53:18 EST 2012

Hello masters and slaves,

I brought Tundra to the vet's today and was quite surprised at what she found.

I had to leave him for a few hours so they could do radiographs and some hydration. Radiographs showed a compression fracture at lumbar vertebrae 4 and 5 and it appears there is some erosion in that area. The vet showed a small darker area that may be a bone tumor, but the shadow could have also been something else. She did indicate is was unlikely my boy would regain function and he just may be a paralized piggie for his time on this earth. I was given some liquid tramadol to help with any pain and liquid meloxicam for inflammation. Here's the weird part - I am on meloxicam for arthritis and my husband takes tramadol for his back. I guess Tundra knew his slaves when he picked us!

I am saddened by the prognosis, but the vet said she was encouraged because he was still eating, drinking, peeing and pooing like a healthy guinea pig. She also said given his young age (guesstimate of 6-8 months old), he would be more adaptable to the condition.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and kindness. Tundra has already asked if he can have something motorized to help him get around and chase the females at the next GPDD get together - ah, young boys!

Carol and Tundra