[Gpdd] HEALTH: Tundra's vet visit

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 07:33:30 EST 2012

Poor Tundra. I wonder how he came by his injury. Whatever happens, you are
both well placed to understand his meds and care.

I have only had one permanently disabled piggy and that was my Rolo from
years ago. He had severe arthritis in both of his back legs and gave up
trying to walk. He was an elderly piggy at the time but adapted to his new
situation with no problem. He had a clean piece of Vetbed to lie on
everyday and frequent washes underneath followed by gentle drying and an
application of a barrier cream to prevent urine scald. He loved to talk to
the girl piggies in the next door pen and I always positioned him so that
he could see and interact with them. They were only the width of two wire
panels away and they would line up for a chat.

I do urge you to look out for Vetbed online. I do not know why it is not
sold overseas as there is nothing to compare with the real thing. It is the
most excellent product for piggies that cannot get around too well. It
keeps them dry and, if you are in a place with cold winters like us, it is
very cosy. It can be used flat or glued along the sides to make a cavy
cave. Either way, a wad of newspaper underneath the fabric keeps the urine
away from the rest of the cage/pen.

I once met a paralysed piggy at our Rodentologists. This little boy was
wearing a nappy to keep him dry. Should I say diaper for our overseas
readers? His slave bought the size for new borns, which fitted him very
well.

I wonder if anyone has ever come up with a wheeled carriage for a piggy to
whizz around for floor time. I've seen plenty of dogs enjoying exercise
this way and once met a tortoise who had wheels attached to her shell as
her back legs did not work.

The Piggyfriend girls look forward to meeting Tundra at the next event and
have offered to carry him around. Our nurse piggies will bring their
stretcher.

Love and hugs for Tundra.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.