[Gpdd] Health: Deep sleep??

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 08:40:16 EDT 2012

How extraordinary! I have had piggies who slept very deeply, so much so,
that I feared that they had departed for the Rainbow Bridge. Frodo was one
such piggy and, on occasions, I had to prod him several times to make sure
that he was still with us. Once he was awake, he was as lively as any other
piggy.

Fennel is like this. She often takes no notice of food put right in front
of her nose. She was fine as a babe but had a funny turn a couple of years
ago. She was very limp and showed no sign of rousing from her stupor. I
took her to the Rodentologists, who kept her in their hospital to monitor
her behaviour. Although she was very "flat", they were able to syringe fed
her as she was not eating for herself and after a few days she had improved
enough to come home.

Her heart and lungs are fine but she often has a bunged up nose, which does
not respond to treatment. Whether this is connected to her condition, we do
not know. She sleeps a lot but when she is awake, she eats up well, albeit
with a limited menu and is a chunky pig.

My Rodentologists suspect that she has some kind of neurological condition.
She never interacts with the other piggies, taking no notice of Dorian, who
lives next door and spends a lot of time fruitlessly brrring excitedly at
her.

This is not the same as Minnie's condition but I wonder if she might have
something similar. Narcolepsy occurred to me with Fennel but I don't know
of any tests for this. It would be good to know.

All the best to Minnie.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.