[Gpdd] CARE: Ari's new baby piggies

ME me at buddies.org
Sat Oct 20 04:33:48 EDT 2012

Baby pigs are so much fun ... though they grow up too fast.

Yes, it sounds like they're adjusting just fine.

You really don't have to do anything different for baby piggies than adult pigs ... though you do need to socialize them.  I go pretty slow.  First, I get them accustomed to their home, just picking them up to weigh them twice a day to learn their natural weight fluctuations and to make sure they're not getting sick ... though I have had ones that have lost as much as 100 grams within a few days that weren't sick ... but I figure it's better to be safe than sorry (and my vet loves to see baby piggies).

After they don't dart off when I walk by their home, I start holding them for a couple minutes and gradually increase the time (though I rarely hold one more than 10 minutes, as they usually need to stretch their legs or go to the bathroom by then).  I also start getting them used to me checking their teeth, ears, tummy, etc. as well as playing with their feet (prep for nail clipping).

After I introduce them to the rest of my herd and they're comfortable in the big enclosure (2"X5"), I start teaching them to take a syringe by loading a syringe with canned pumpkin.  I give it to each of the big pigs (who already know how to do this) and eventually the babies get curious enough to try it.  It takes the shy ones a few days before they take it (rarely, only had one, really shy ones or ones that don't care for pumpkin might not take it on their own ... these, I just pick them up, loosely wrap them in a towel so their head is covered, and feed it to them), but since it's not required medicine, it doesn't matter.