[Gpdd] RESCUE- update on rescue piggie in Lancaster PA

Ronald Zimmerman rzm.2 at verizon.net
Sun Oct 21 00:07:54 EDT 2012

Hi all! I haven't posted about the piggie I was trying to rescue cause I've been busy taking care of said piggie! This is kind of a long story so I'll try to sum it up the best I can. I got the piggie (Scrappy) from the guy my dad works with & he was in bad shape. He had a URI & his toenails were so long they were curling under & he couldn't hardly walk. So I e-mailed my contact at the Humane League & told her what was going on & I waited like 5 days & she never got back to me. I called her too & still she didn't get back to me. So I decided that was it I was just going to take him to the vet myself because I couldn't stand the fact that he was so sick & waiting just wasn't an option anymore. So I took him to my vet & $110.00 later brought him home with nicely groomed nails & an antibiotic for his URI. Then, of course, that afternoon the lady from the H.L. calls me to see what was going on. So I had to sign over Scrappy to them as an abandoned/stray &
 then he became a foster under my care. Through the H.L. I manage to get him a larger cage & hay & bedding. He was in a tiny cage (& he's a 4lb. guinea pig) that he could hardly move in & had a tiny igloo that he didn't fit in. He was in that cage 24 hours a day. Never had anyone to hold him & never had floor time. Now he's terrified when he's out of his cage. I try to hold him & give him floortime but he's very scared & doesn't like being held. So I'm working with him but I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere. When he gets better & is (hopefully) socialized more he will go up for adoption at the H.L. Unfortunately I'm out the $110.00 that we didn't have on what was supposed to be a foster situation. The H.L. really dropped the ball on this one. So Scrappy & I are trying to get to know each other better & he does seem much happier now then when he came. He will be much happier when his antibitics are done on Tuesday. He fights me tooth & nail on taking
 them. It's really ugly! Almost bit me a few times. But I'm trying to be patient with him because it's not his fault. If anything changes with him I'll let yous know. I'll try to get some of his pics on my Photobucket page. Hugs to all...

~Jaime, Mimi & Captain Phil the betta fish~
~Missing Albert, Molly, Radar & Daisy~
http://s652.photobucket.com/albums/uu246/chirpy123/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/AintThatCrafty