[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Hemi’s cysts and cavy surgery protocol

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Wed Oct 24 11:02:49 EDT 2012

Hi Tina,

Regarding Hemi's cysts, did your vet tell you if the cysts were in hair
follicles or in the lymph glands? Multiple cysts under the limbs are
often a result of swollen lymph nodes. They become swollen due to an
infection. We would typically treat with oral Baytril 10 mg twice a day
for 7-10 days. Because cavies have a high metabolic rate twice a day
dosing is usually the preferred method. Ibuprofen can also be given to
help with pain and inflammation. We would use over the counter
children’s ibuprofen. The bottle should read 100 mg per 5 ml. The oral
dose would be 0.4 ml twice a day for as long as Hemi is on antibiotics.

I would recommend bathing the area twice a day with Betadine solution if
the cysts are in the hair follicles. You can buy Betadine solution at a
pharmacy. Very small follicular cysts do not need to be drained.

Cavies do well under anesthesia if the right anesthesia and procedures
are used. Please go to my web page to see the entire surgical protocol.
http://piggyville.com/index.php?id=4
When Dr. Bonsack DVM is operating on cavies, I do the anesthesia. We
have had no problems because we use a protocol that was developed by the
Cambridge Cavy Trust and Guinea Pig Hospital.

I am not a vet but I volunteer for Dr. Frank Bonsack DVM of Westchase
Veterinary Center as a cavy health advisor.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.