[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Ibuprofen vs. Metacam?

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Sat Oct 27 13:11:42 EDT 2012

Hi Ginger,
Yes you are correct that ibuprofen and Metacam are both NSAIDS. However,
metacam is a far more potent NSAID than ibuprofen and has a much shorter
history of use in cavies. I prefer to use ibuprofen or rimadyl since
they have a long history of safe use in cavies. I know that the
Cambridge Cavy Trust is still doing long term studies of the use of
metacam. I work with a vet that has always refused to use metacam in any
animal. I would be interested to know what strength of metacam you are
using and what dose you are giving.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.