[Gpdd] CARE: Ari's new baby piggies

Sandra Oliver-Poore warmbreath at comcast.net
Sun Oct 28 22:31:02 EDT 2012

Hi Everyone.   Isn't Piggyvision wonderful?  Babies are "normally" born in a
herd with lots of sows, and sows patiently help bring up all the babies.
They can even help clean up the new babes when they come too fast for the
mum and save lives that way.  They protect the babes and teach them the
right things to eat and what to avoid, so I would always want babies in with
adults. The only exception is that there should be no males in the pen when
babies are born.  Momma becomes fertile again in a an hour or so and the
boar loses all reason to his hormones. In a big herd not penned in the
ladies will shelter the babes as best they can bit in close quarters the
boar can kill the babies quite by accident or ardor.  No boar is the
birthing pen.  Otherwise a nice big pen of ladies and babies in marvelous as
long as they all have homes to go to soon. Of course babies boars need to be
identified and sorted away from the ladies by about 3 weeks. I had a
neutered boar who would mother them. Sammy wasn't much id any older when I
found him in a small pet shop aquarium dancing the "buy me song"  so I
followed instructions and the rest is history.
 Oh how I miss my Penny Piggles.   It would have been a great live for Sammy
Sandy Sammy and AR