[Gpdd] HEALTH: Ibuprofen vs. Metacam?

Ginger Fitzsimmons matildalucet at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 31 23:14:05 EDT 2012

Ann asked what strength of metacam we use and what dose we are giving. The box says 1.5 mg/mL Oral Suspension. I know the dosage is based on weight; my roughly 1200g boars get 0.25 mL once or twice a day as needed. After their recent stone surgeries (which I should write about some day), it was definitely twice a day. When Cuddles slows way down and we think he might be hurting and there are no other symptoms, we try once a day and see if he perks up. Kind of like the way I use ibuprofen for myself. Which his vets approve of - we asked.

I'll have to try to remember to ask them about ibuprofen the next time I see one of them. Metacam is pricey, though if it turns out to be what one of them needs, we'll get it anyway.

-Ginger, Steve,
and the perky Mr. Cuddles and his charming brother Mr. Brownie