[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Spooky has Arthritis

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Sun Sep 9 20:31:52 EDT 2012

I have had several piggys with arthritis. I followed both Peter Gurney's
and the CCT recommendations. Peter strongly believed in swimming
therapy. I have used it 3 times a weeks on my arthritic piggys. Just
fill the bathtub with enough warm water so that Spooky can easily swim
back and fourth. Cavies are natural swimmers. Spooky will tell you when
he has had enough swimming practice. Swimming takes the stress of
gravity off the joints while they get exercise so that they do not
freeze up. Also, per CCT instructions I gave 10 mg of Rimadyl twice a
day for 3 days, then 5 mg twice a day for 3 days followed by 5 mg once a
day for a month then 5 mg as needed. I also kept my arthritic piggys on
vet bedding. They only needed the swimming therapy once a month after
they were on 5 mg Rimadyl as needed. I have had piggys live to 9 years
old that developed arthritis when they were 5 years old.I am not a vet
but I volunteer as a cavy health advisor for Dr. Frank Bonsack DVM of
the Adventure Animal Hospital in Tampa Florida.
http://adventureanimalhospital.com/

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.