[Gpdd] Health: Diarrhoea in Sooty all the time (for years now)

juliejohnson12 at bigpond.com juliejohnson12 at bigpond.com
Sat Sep 29 16:27:21 EDT 2012

Dear All,

Hi everyone, a lurker here.

I'm writing in the hope some member might have any experience similar to mine, and whether anyone can offer advice.

Little Sooty, he's a runt, and I've realised why.       The bet says it's something to do with the intestines, which normally have "villi" I believe that's ups and downs in the intestine which helps piggies absorb their food.    She said my Sooty had had diarrhoea so long, that those villi would have flattened out, and the food just slips through his gut and out the other end in cow pat mode.

I am continuing to give probiotics, try to get him to eat dry grass (but he's a vegetable eater and doesn't even eat much green grass).   I've cut down on cucumber, no lettuce, less tomato, less corn, etc.   However, I must be careful that he continues to eat foods, any foods to ensure he doesn't suffer teething problems.

Every time I pick him up, I just pick up a piggy with poo on all four feet and in his little bum.   I regularaly clean him through the day, but by the end of the day, when he sits in his castle for floor time, I pick up the castle and there's all this revolting poo stuck to the base of the castle, and all over Sooty.

I thought maybe Critical Care, but when I use it, instead of binding him, it makes him go to the toilet more.

My sister suggested psyllium husk to try and bind the food, but he won't eat it on its own.  I tried covering his cucumber with it, he won't eat the cucumber.   I managed to get a little bit into him when I syringed probiotic into him, but I have to be very quick because the psylillium thickens very quickly.

Does anyone know what I can do for my boy to give him a more pleasant life?    I adore him to bits, and am not about to put him to sleep because of dirty bum or towels.   I'll just wear the poo (literally, ha!!), or buy myself an adult sized bib when I hold him.   I will not let him go to the Bridge for a small matter as this.   I just figure he's uncomfortable, and want to make his little life better.

If I was to get some adult Imodium, Sooty weighs 920 grams, how much could I give him to try to stop the diarrhoea, whilst I continue to give him probiotics?   I don't know any dosages, and I know Peter Gurney has said some Imodium would be okay.

Please, anybody........... help me and my little baby Sooty.

Best regards to all,
Julie and Sooty, Hugo, Kimba, Treacle and Snowdrop