[Gpdd] Health: Diarrhoea in Sooty all the time (for years now)

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 04:48:26 EDT 2012

Hi Julie,

Just a very quick reply at the moment as I have to go out to work in a
moment. So sorry to read about little Sooty's problems. I have used Imodium
for piggies. It is recommended by our Rodentologists. The dose is based on
metabolism rather than weight so is the same for all adult piggies.

We can no longer buy the liquid Imodium here in the UK, which is a shame as
it was easy to give by syringe but we can get it in capsules. Here, they
come in packet of 12 but you only need one. Open the capsule and empty the
contents into a teaspoon. Draw up some plain water into a 1ml. syringe,
express the water into the teaspoon and stir with the tip of the syringe
until the imodium is as dissolved as it can be. Then suck it all up again
and give it to Sooty.

Only give the one dose and see if it helps. It is very binding so you would
not want to give another dose.

I'll write some more later.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.

Disclaimer. No veterinary training but decades of piggy care and advice
from the best - Peter and my Rodentologists.