[Gpdd] Health: oatmeal for Sooty's diarrhea and diabetes

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Sun Sep 30 16:02:33 EDT 2012

Sandy mentioned the feeding of oatmeal. Dry oatmeal is always a good
food to feed your piggys in limited quantities. A sick piggy may need
water added to the oatmeal but do NOT cook the oatmeal. Sick or diabetic
cavies can be given more oatmeal. If you wet the oatmeal it becomes
stale after a few hours. For diabetic piggys they are put on a diet of
only water, hay, cabbage and dry oatmeal. Sometimes they need to spend
the rest of their lives on this diet that may be occasionally
supplemented with one eighth of a cup of timothy hay pellets. I am not a
vet but I volunteer as a cavy health advisor for Dr. Frank Bonsack DVM
of the Adventure Animal Hospital in Tampa Florida.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.