[Gpdd] Misc. My first guinea pig....Koko

Jim and Margaret Lynn jimmarg.lynn at att.net
Sat Apr 13 11:54:10 EDT 2013

This is the story of Koko, my first guinea pig.  I sent this story to the GPDD
back in 2001 so some of you ol' timers will remember it:

I thought some of you slaves might be interested in what happened to me soon
after I adopted Koko from a family who suddenly developed allergies to guinea
pigs.

The first exciting thing was the fact that when I picked up Koko from the former
owners she was a female.  You talk about a miracle....by the time I got home and
did a little investigating on the underside of my new friend I found out that
Koko was a male!  But, I loved him just the same.

Koko was very tame and liked to be held.  He would always sit for just a moment
on my lap and then would suddenly run up my chest and sit looking at me with his
nose just an inch or so from my mouth.   Sometimes he would then reach out and
give me a gentle kiss on my cheek.

After I had Koko for a few days I thought it would be a nice treat for him if I
took him outside to the middle of my garden and let him nibble in the grass for
a while.  I planned to stand beside him to make sure no other animals would
bother him.

I took Koko out to the garden and placed him on the ground.  He sat there for a
moment looking all around, sniffing the air, nibbling on stalks of grass,
scratching behind his ear......just doing normal things that guinea pigs do.

Suddenly, without any warning, Koko started to run for the woods which was about
100 yards away.  Well.......let me tell you.....I never in my life guessed that
a fat little guinea pig with short legs could run so fast!  My physical
description of Koko is pretty much how I am built (rotund with short legs) plus
the fact that I am in the sixth decade of my life; I am not exactly a "spring
chicken".

I knew that if Koko made it to the thick woods I could never catch him because
the trees and brush are too thick.  Koko got to the edge of the garden with me
"huffing and puffing" hot on his heels.  I made a flying tackle (literally) and
caught him but ended up flat on my belly with a squirming guinea pig held out in
front of me at arm's length.

Koko wiggled out of my grasp and again sprinted for the woods.  By now he had
covered half the distance to the trees and I am still flat on my belly in the
garden.  I got up and the chase was on again.  By this time I am thinking to
myself.  "is a heart attack worth catching this little fleet footed critter?"
With heart pounding and gasping for breath I picked up the chase and caught up
with Koko just as he approached the edge of the woods.  There was some very tall
and thick grass and as soon as he entered the grass he stopped with his rear end
sticking out on my lawn.

Evidently the long grass confused him (or maybe he ran out of steam too just
like I was doing).  Anyway, at this point he let me pick him up and take him
back to his cage in the house.

Well, that was the last time Koko was given any "free range time" in the
garden.  Soon after that I constructed a 2' X 4"  outdoor pen with a top and an
open bottom so he could occasionally enjoy some outdoor time and nibble grass.

*******Note...It was 12 years ago when I got Koko and of course now he has long
gone over the Rainbow Bridge but he will always be loved in my heart.  Since
then I have had about 10 guinea pigs and now have only Princess.

Jim............and Princess and Benny the Golden Retriever