[Gpdd] BEHAVIOR: guinea pigs and grief

Stephanie Labbate zarafa101 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 17 13:51:50 EDT 2013

I don't know too much about guinea pigs and grief.

My Mocha lost her cage mate back in August.  She does need A LOT more attention now, which I do give her...but otherwise seems OK.

My Jasmine lost her cagemate in February and has not been the same since.  The day Lily died, Jasmine lost weight, she has diarrhea, she needs more attention, but I don't seem to be able to give her nearly enough attention.  I took her to the doctor -- he gave her an antibiotic and probiotic -- they don't really seem to be helping.  She does eat, but is still VERY thin. Tried feeding her Critical Care -- she will eat it sometimes, other times, not.

Can guinea pigs be this affected by grief?    It's heartbreaking to see her like this...

Jasmine wants to be with Mocha so bad...but Mocha is a grouchy old lady and gnashes her teeth at Jasmine and will bite her.  Putting them together is not an option.  Have tried numerous times...

Jasmine is about 3 1/2 years old.  I'm thinking of getting her a younger guinea pig companion.

Any thoughts/suggestions/comments on this situation?

Stephanie Labbate
www.beautifullight.scent-team.com
www.filmdvdreleases.com