[Gpdd] GPDD (Health) (Sami)

Ellen Garrison guineamom88 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 19 07:01:46 EDT 2013

Well I came home from 8 hours of work (hotel is slow so I left rather early) came in and saw Merary (aka Ary) in the pen but could not find her mom, Sami!  I had put some little brown paper bags filled with KMS hay (i had purchased a bunch from the store, y'know the really small ones that hold like two cans of 12 oz. beverages) and Sami was hiding in one and Ary was just outside being her usual piggy self. OMG at first I thought Sami had passed (she is middle age--4 and a half years) but it was like she was in a deep sleep... then I noticed she was having a hard time walking on one side. I have been holding her since...that was about an hour ago...I gave her some syringed water, which she wanted (and still does), some substitute CBB of mashed Oxbow cavy cuisine pellets via syringe and water, some baby electrolytes (Medtech Little Remedies Hydration Crystals) w/ water, more water, baby probiotics (Culturelle), more mashed pellets, the kids ibuprofen
 apprx. 0.3 mL because she is small, and still more water, and more mashed pellets. I will give the panacur to her in a short while. I don't know  what happened while I was at work, this is the first time she has been back with Ary since last week.  I am only hoping Ary did not try to jump on her back...
Update 48 hours later:  I noticed tonight when I gave her a bath that her back right foot has like a boil on it on the sole, the opposite side of the abscess which was on her left side. Well it's not exactly a boil, but it is red, swollen, and has a white area in the middle that looks like it could be pus, but it is not that noticeable although it looks very painful.
I do give the pigs Oxbow Vit C tablets and Sami is still on pediatric sulfatrim, and after I washed her I put Prid (homeopathic drawing salve--topical pain reliever) and perfect Paws on her back foot. I am also giving her the kids ibuprofen that Ann Evans recommends--the kind I got is Advil brand, it's ibuprofen 100 mg in each 5 mL.  It's Children's Advil Suspension that is sold in the US.  I am giving her 0.3 mL twice a day. The vet said give her 0.4 mL of pediatric sulfatrim, twice a day, so I am wondering if I should just increase it to 0.5 mL twice a day without telling him? It has been very hot here and voggy and my car's AC broke. Ah, such is life. :)
Thanks,
Ellen