[Gpdd] MISC New Pig - Introducing a new pig to an older one

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 04:32:07 EDT 2013

Selena,

It sounds like your piggy needs a new friend and so does that little girl
in your pet shop. I would not hesitate to bring her home.

I have introduced more new piggies than I care to count and there are many
ways to do this. A lot depends on the temperament of the resident pig.

My sows are in groups so it can be very easy to introduce a new one by
simply putting her in with the others with a pile of food - grass is best.
The others are so busy eating the grass right down to the tug of war over
the last blade that they haven't the time to notice the newcomer. By the
time that they have finished, they have forgotten that she was not there
anyway - they can't count - and she is accepted as part of the group. This
might work for you but the recommended way is to make introductions on
neutral ground.

Do you have a playpen or could you construct a safe area where intros could
be made? I have a big cardboard box that once contained a washing machine.
The sides are cut down to around a foot high. Lined with paper topped with
hay, many a pair of boars have met this way. Once they are happy together,
they are transferred to their permanent home, which has previously been
thoroughly cleaned to eliminate any odour of past residents, even if one of
these boars lived there before.

Even if they don't get on, as your resident pig has a huge cage, it could
be subdivided to give each pig plenty of room. That way, they can enjoy
each other's company but not argue.

I have a pair of boars who live like this. They both lost their companions
and, although they get on fine, occasionally the younger one will mount the
older one incessantly, which annoys him as he wants more nap time.

They have a simple wire mesh panel to divide the pen in half and spend a
lot of time sitting next to each other and chatting through the wire,
without the old boy being harassed.

If any squabbles occur - and do watch them very carefully during intros -
bathing them together can create a bond. I don't know if is fear of the
shampoo that causes a mutual friendship to be forged but it can work and is
always worth a try.

Any advice on intros gladly given.

Good luck.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.