[Gpdd] MISC How we are doing

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 11:10:06 EDT 2013

Hi Jean,

Here in SE England, it is unbearably hot. After the longest winter in
living memory, we are now suffering a heatwave. We are just not used to
temperatures in the 90s and are suffering as a consequence, especially
those of us who work outdoors. It is so humid too and the Piggyfriends have
to have fans on all day and night to keep them comfortable.

They love to go outside in the summer and mow the lawn but, as soon as the
cold weather was over, this dreadful heat started and they have not been
outside once.

It is years since I needed to use ice bottles to keep them cool, except for
when travelling with them on a warm day.

My normally green grass has all turned brown and no amount of watering by
me has kept it good enough to eat. My veggies have all shrivelled in the
heat and the piggies are having to rely on supermarket veg, which does not
please them one bit. I have managed to keep a half barrel of chickweed and
dandelions going so all is not lost but you can't beat a freshly picked
cucumber or tomato or a newly pulled carrot with its top.

Many problems and delays with the pig room rebuild have meant that work has
not even started yet. I hoped that it would be over before our holiday in
September as I did not want my pigsitter son to cope with builders and
their needs for endless cups of tea so I think that the rebuild will be
shelved until next year ( unless you hear differently ). I had not intended
to take in any more piggies while the rebuild was happening as my present
herd will have to be moved to other rooms for the duration but, as you
know, Toffee found his way here and, if any stray piggies come knocking at
the door, they will be made very welcome.

My Rodentologists have moved and their piggy hospital is not yet up and
running again so any invalids have to be taken to Palace Piggies rescue,
where the lady who runs it has completed her rodentology course and had
lots of lessons from my own people.. You may remember that Palace Piggies
were the people I nominated for the Undercover PiggiesCalendar prize and
they won.

Unfortunately, this is a lot further to drive and there are horrendous
roadworks in between. I don't want to be driving piggies around in this
heat. Garnet, who has all those extraneous teeth, had to have a trip there
and will have to do so again but I hope that it might be cooler when he
needs to go again.

Has anyone heard from Jaime? I can't remember when her baby is due.

Hoping all piggies and piggy people are doing well.

Regards from Penny and the Piggyfriends in SE England, where the sun is
still burning down. We always complain about the lousy British summers with
their endless rain - now I am not so sure.