[Gpdd] HEALTH Sassy

Sandra Oliver-Poore warmbreath at comcast.net
Sat Aug 24 12:25:12 EDT 2013

Joanne, I forgot to mention in my first note to you that the drug we used to
flush out the open abscess was chloramphenicol (to be used only with gloves
as a tiny percent of humans can have a fatal reaction). Also recall that my
vet had found an ear infection and that pus from it was dripping into that
under throat/ chest area causing the chest abscess.  The drug used to treat
the ear infection was chloramphenicol mixed with  a carrier drug that used
to be very popular with people to penetrate arthritics called DMSO now only
legally sold as an industrial solvent. I did have trouble flushing the chest
abscess, the sac was large and deep and he told me to be sure to get all the
way around it, and to the bottom, but the equipment he gave me was one of
those syringe like tools but larger and with a hooked or curved tip. The
problem was that the tip was too thin and sharp and it penetrated the wall
of the abscess.  It would have work better if the tip were cut back so the
diameter was larger and therefore less likely to pierce the abscess walls.
He was an exotics only vet and had a great reputation over the region. Sandy