[Gpdd] behavior: foster pig

Jan Schumann janettejr at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 21:13:21 EDT 2013

I don't post often but I read the digest all the time.

I am fostering a guinea pig for a few days until she can go to her forever
home with a friend of mine. Her current name is Rose but she will get a new
one soon.  She will be a classroom guinea pig but my friend will be taking
her home every weekend until after Christmas break.

I got her (and a fabulous pen) from the man who mows my mom's yard.  She
has been a lone piggie for almost a year and man's grandchildren go tired
of her.  She is a skinny but active long-haired PEW.  I don't think that
she has ever seen hay or veggies.

They took care of her as best they could but they just didn't have the
piggie passion.

She is starting to try the hay  but is still ignoring veggies.  Other than
patience and persistence, does any one have any suggestions for her in the
short time that I have her with me?

I am going to start her off with her new person with her old food mixed
with Oxbow pellets, Carefresh, vitamin C and a bag of hay.

Thanks,
Jan and the Lowcountry Cavies