[Gpdd] Health: Uterine Adenocarcinoma

Anneli Cochrane arcochrane at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 12:33:19 EDT 2013

Joanie,
My pig Flower had a successful spay for ovarian cysts. She is doing amazing
right now and had the surgery on June 10th and now her fur is growing in
beautifully. It was the right choice for me. However, I know it is
different for every pig and risky. However, they left a small piece of her
uterus because it was not diseased yet, as this would mean she would have 3
incisions in instead of 2. It sounds to me like Ruffian will need it all
taken out. My vet did a newer technique for the spay she calls a bi-lateral
flank approach, as she says she has good luck with this way with rodents as
it is less invasive, and they cannot rip out their stitches either. As long
as Ruffian is strong and healthy and you have a competent vet, I see no
reason why she couldn't survive. Good luck with your decision, I know it
isn't easy.
Anneli