[Gpdd] MISC: BEDLINGTON: My Big Little Boy (part one)

corrine sakumoto oreochockc at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 29 16:24:31 EST 2013

Nearly four years ago, I saw a white guinea pig in the pet store.  I have a weakness for white guinea pigs.  To my surprise, Michael asked the store clerk if we could see him.  Michael then held him in my face and said, do you want me? and of course I had the biggest smile on my face as I said, yes I do!

He was a baby so every time I picked him up, I’d say to him, you’re so tiny!  I knew he’d grow fast so I relished being able to say it.  Eventually, I named him Bedlington.

I noticed that Bedlington would lift his front paws whenever it was fresh food times.  So I encouraged the behavior by holding up a morsel a little high in front of him and asking, will you stand up for me?  Eventually, he would stand on his rear legs!  I was amazed at how smart my Bedlington was!

He grew to be my best little eater!  He’d eat anything and everything I placed in front of him.  Well, he’d at least try it.  But yes, he would normally clean up every little piece of veggie!  I was always so proud of him!  He grew to be around three pounds.  Me, I prefer a pudgy piggie but Michael said he thinks he may have trouble eating his pellets that you pull from your poo?  so although I didn’t put him on a diet, I did lessen his veggies just a little.  He’d look at me pathetically like, I’m still hungry!  Sometimes I’d give him more, sometimes I’d say, you should try to eat just a little less!  Either way, I felt horrible.  I’m not sure if that’s what triggered it, but shortly thereafter he began to leave scraps of veggies.  He never did that before.  So we took him to the vet to be examined.  Bedlington was three years old and had a soft lump on his leg also.  But the vet said, ‘I don’t know what’s wrong
 with him.’  So we were on our own.

Also, this vet said that’s he’s responsible for bringing the teddies to the island (we live on the Big Island of Hawaii) and that when he was breeding them, they never lived longer than three years.  I began to cry on the spot.  But I squared my shoulders with determination and I just kept saying to myself, we’ll prove that vet wrong!