[Gpdd] MISC: BEDLINGTON: My Big Little Boy (part two)

corrine sakumoto oreochockc at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 29 16:27:48 EST 2013

We went to another vet who helped us rule out possibilities, and so we assumed he had arthritis.  Bedlington began to look different in that his legs were sort of ‘stiff.’  We tried our best to make sure he was always warm.  We changed his bedding several times a day and tending to him best we could.

We began a feeding regimen of blending his regular veggies so that we could feed him by syringe.  It became somewhat amusing if daddy Michael were late with a meal as Bedlington would run around his pen, looking for daddy and wheeking, where’s food!  At this point, Michael would be running around getting it ready and I’d be running around barking to Michael, hurry up!

As time went on, he began to lose weight and hair.  But was always full of personality and life.  He loved life and bossing us around.  Yes, he’d always get his way or almost everything that he wanted.  After awhile, he sort of had this slightly arched back, his legs seemed stiff.  But his adoring smile and super cute face always melted our hearts.

This went on for eight months.  Then one day, Michael said, I think it’s his time.  I gritted my teeth so hard as I said through clenched teeth, don’t you EVER say that.  EVER!  Bedlington looked fine but yes, seemed a little different somehow.  So I suggested that Michael take a nap and we’ll let Bedlington rest also.  I kept myself busy until I thought I heard sounds of cries so I walked past his pen and thought his cozy seemed pretty flat so I thought he was laying down inside.  But then I heard a small little cry again, on the opposite side of his pen, and there was Bedlington, my little boy, laying on his side, crying this pitiful cry!  (We think he had been looking for us.)  I immediately screamed for Michael, awakening him from his nap, he quickly came and picked up Bedlington and asked him what was wrong and well, after we held him and told him how much we love him, he went.  I screamed with such a broken heart.  I couldn’t
 believe my eyes!  How could my once big pudgy adorably huggy boy, now be gone?  I had waited for the day for his hair to fill in, for his body to fill out once again, to have him enthusiastically eat every bit of fresh veggies that we’d give him.  Now that day will never come.  A few days later, Michael did remind me that the so called expert vet said that he wouldn’t live past three years.  Bedlington had made it to three years and eight months.  So I held my head up high, looking heavenward, and said to Bedlington, you did it, you proved the vet wrong, you’re my brave little boy and you always will be.  I love you Bedlington.  I loved every second that you were in my life.  I miss you sweetie. Yes, I do carry you around in my heart.  Thanks for allowing me to be your mommy.   I will never forget you Bedlington.  Love, your mommy corrine